Biggest Driving Distractions
Preventative maintenance is important for keeping your vehicle safely on the road, but just as important is safe driving practices! This includes avoiding driving distractions, which can seem minor but have major consequences…
Hundreds of accidents happen every day and 90% of all car crashes are caused by driver error. Being less than totally focused on driving when you’re behind the wheel is dangerous to your vehicle and everyone on board… So put down that tube of lipstick and lock up your cell phone!
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the top 10 distractions to drivers are:
1. Cell phones – Wireless devices are the number one culprit for distracted driving. More than a quarter of all crashes involve mobile device use. From phone calls to texts, smart phones to tablets, these devices are a hazard.
2. Passengers – Chatting with your fellow travelers will definitely affect your focus so try to ask your passengers to respect your role as the driver and help you concentrate on the task at hand.
3. Internal distractions – Fiddling with your stereo, looking for gum, munching on fast food… there are a lot of things inside your vehicle that can take your focus off of the road.
4. Adjusting controls – Reprogramming radio stations, tinkering with dashboard settings, getting the A/C just right… try to set up the accessories and controls inside your vehicle before you head out.
5. Personal Hygiene – If you’re running late, it’s tempting to finish getting ready in the car. But applying make-up, using an electric razor for a last minute shave, and checking your refection in the mirror can be dangerous.
6. Food – Eating at the wheel, from opening a can of soda, unwrapping a burger, fishing for fries in the bag, to bringing the food to your mouth takes at least one hand off the steering wheel.
7. External distractions – From bill boards to pedestrians, you can be just as distracted outside of the car. Save the people watching for when you’re in the passenger seat.
8. Talking – Boredom in the car can lead you to sing along with the radio or talk to yourself. Just don’t become your concentration’s own worst enemy.
9. Smoking – Rolling down windows to fix your nicotine craving can be dangerous, by occupying one hand from lighting the cigarette to tossing the butt.
10. Daydreaming – Not paying attention to the roads ahead is risky. It only takes a couple of seconds worth of a distraction for an accident to take place.
All of us at Melton Automotive are committed to your safety on the roads in Alabama. Try to avoid multitasking when you’re driving and do away with as many potential distractions as possible before you hit the road.
When it comes to keeping your vehicle running smoothly and safely, come to our shop for your preventative maintenance services. Drop by our location in Alabaster or call 205-663-6088 to schedule your next appointment.